How do I plant Vegetable and Flower Seeds?
With a very simple and short but particularly pleasant process you can create a small vegetable garden even on the balcony!
You will need :
* good topsoil for seeds and bulbs to germinate
* plastic cups (of water) or seeds
* nylon (or plastic bag) for covering.
We pierce the plastic cups in 3-4 places at their base, so that the water escapes and they are ventilated.
We fill the cups with soil, slightly pressed and to a height of three fingers before it is full. Sprinkle the soil with a little water, put the seeds, cover them with a little more topsoil and water lightly. The seeds are as deep in the soil as they are tall. That is, we cover the tomato seeds just enough, while we put the pumpkin seeds 2-3 centimeters into the soil. If the seeds are small (e.g. tomato) put 4-5 seeds in each cup, while if they are large (e.g. pumpkin) put 2-3 seeds. The life time of the seeds is generally 3 years. However, it is good to renew the seeds every year. Our plants need direct sunlight to grow and get stronger.
The soil should be kept slightly moist. The seedling needs a warm place, when it is cold and if we have it outside we cover it at night. Some plants come out quickly (e.g. tomato 10-15 days) while some others come out slowly (e.g. pepper 20-30 days). Depending on the height of the plant, we transplant the young seedlings to a well-prepared area.
Fresh aromatic plants for cooking straight from your pot!
- Create an aromatic garden at home with pots of basil, tarragon, mint, marjoram…
- With seeds you can plant herbs, vegetables and flowers.
- With bulbs you plant different species each season that will bloom after 1-3 months.